Tuesday, March 4, 2008

5 things I've been loving lately

Now that I've gotten that sour taste out of my mouth let's get to the thing's I've been loving lately.

5) Diablo Cody
I don't care if it's cool to hate on Cody now, and really don't care if no one really talks like Juno, I love this chick. Her fearless attitude, the cheap shoes to the Oscars, and the really heartfelt speech when she won are just a few of the things that make me like Diablo more and more.
Her book Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper is really great.
Check her out chatting with Letterman


4) www.themeparkreview.comI've wasted many hours reading the worldwide adventures of these husband and wife team of roller coaster aficionados. Rob and Elisa Alvey offer tours for other theme park geeks like them (they even got married on Disney World) and document it all on their website. Who knew that (according to them) the world's best coaster is 2 hours from where I live, I really have to check that out:


3) Y: The Last Man finale
What a great conclusion to this great tale. A love letter to women and men who know how to appreciate them. Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra: You fucking rock!!! I'd still love to know Agent 315's name though.
Click on the image to listen to a great interview with Vaughan and the always lovely Whitney Matheson over at Usa Today's Pop Candy

2) Great TV
Thank God, Krishna, Buddha and the rest fo the Superfriends, the WGA strike is over! We still had some great TV to hold us over the break. Chief amongst them: LOST and Breaking Bad.
I never thought Lost had jumped the shark, but the flash forwards were exactly what the show needed to bring extra energy and intensity to every single second of every episode.
Who would have ever thought that AMC was the new place for great drama? Mad Men is the best show on TV, and Breaking Bad is another great addition to the channel. Bryan Cranston is the SHIT as a brilliant chemist Walter White, forced to work as a school teacher after life has beaten him down. When Walt discovers he's dying from lung cancer, he decides to start cooking Crystal Meth with one of his ex students, in order to make enough money to leave behind to his family.

1) Fables
I came across this great comic book title thanks to Whitney Matheson's comic book crash course and not since Sandman have I ever felt so compelled to get my hands on as many issues as I could as quickly as possible. What a great, fun read.

No comments: